Colonial architect John Lee Archer designed the 13 metre high Cape Bruny lighthouse. it was built from lical stone and cost 2,500 pounds to build even though it was constructed using free convict labour. The lighthouse was lit in 1838 and is the oldest continuously-manned lighthouse in Australia. It was decommissioned in 1996, when it was replaced by a solar-powered tower. The original parabolic reflectors used approximately half a litre of sperm (whale) oil every hour of use.

Jetty Beach

Until 1915 the jetty at Jetty Beach in Great Taylors Bay was used by sail- and then steam-ships, that anchored in the bay to unload supplies and livestock for the lightstation. The supplies were taken by horse and cart along a rough three mile track to the lightstation. The road from Lunawanna was built around 1960.