Great Bay was mainly a farming area, in the 1830's grain was grown. Shell from here was burnt and crushed for lime mortar. Lime for agricurtural use was crushed from shells for Hood and Co. and pipe clay was dug nearby to whiten fireplaces by the settlers.
Oral history tells that there was a race-course in the Great Bay area during the 1850's.
below:Smoothies Point is named after John Smoothey, a convict who lived at the point for 40 years in the 1800's.
photographs: Bruny Island historical society and Island Graphic & Digital