In the early nineteen-hundreds, alonnah jetty was used by many vessels traversing the d'Entrecasteaux Channel with cargo and passengers. On Thursdays a weekly trip to Hobart took passengers shopping for the day. The pontoon that takes the place of the jetty today is the last surviving section of the Hobart Floating Arch Bridge that was in use to cross the Derwent River from October 1943 to August 1964. This section was towed to Alonnah on 27th June 1972. Today Alonnah has an Art Gallery, pub, general storre, medical centre, post office, history room, pharmacy and police station.